Monday, June 25, 2012

Introductions and Saving the Tomatoes.

Zucchini!
Most of my plants have decided to start blooming, and in that spirit I felt I should start a blog.  I will be blogging about my interests, everything from gardening, to frugal/green living, to cosplay.  I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures as much as I enjoy having them!


Living in an apartment it's not like I can have goats and chickens to homestead with, but I try in little ways.   I am trying to grow more of the produce we eat all the time. Due to previously mentioned apartment everything is grown in pots which has its own challenges.  This was my harvest last year
Those little brown specks are potatoes.

My tomato plants this year are going nuts.  They were looking pretty raggedy until I started giving them a once weekly dosing of epsom salts.  What the heck was I thinking you may ask?  Epsom salts or magnesium sulfate helps with growth.  Tomatoes use up a ton of it. I had planted tomatoes in the same pots and soil as last year there was no magnesium to be had.  Add a little epsom salts and Bam!

Recipe
1 tbsp Epsom salt
1 gallon water

Mix together, and sprinkle over plants.

I mixed mine up in an old milk jug,  I punched holes in the lid to water the plants with. I give everyone some once a week.  I have about 13 pots and use 1/3 a gallon a week.

I will try to get some pictures of the tomatoes this week to show off. 

A huge shot out to my fiancee for helping me come up with a name for this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment