Saturday, May 4, 2013

DIY Laundry Detergent Try 2

I am in the process of trying out as many different DIY laundry detergent recpies as I can find.  You can see my first attempt Here.

Todays Laundry Detergent Recipe comes from How Does She.  Of course I changed around the recipe a bit, so that might have something to do with it not working as well.   I omitted the purex crystals fabric softener, I use vinegar for a fabric softener, besides one of the things I like about DIY laundry soap I can omit the things I think will make my allergies go nuts. 


Ingredients:
1 (4 lb 12 oz) Box of Borax
1 (3 lb 7 oz) Box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
1 (3 lb) Container of OxyClean
2 (14.1 oz) Bars of Fels Naptha)
1 (4 lb) Box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda- 


Directions
1. Grate Fels Naptha soap with cheese grater.
2. Mix all ingredients together in a large bucket.
3. Use 2 -4 Tablespoons per laundry load. 

Mind you I learned my lesson last time, and decreased the recipe so I only make enough for a few loads.

Cleaning:  10/10  This works wonders!  It even got anal gland debris out of my scrubs (a common occupational hazard when one works in a vet clinic)

Ease of Use: 8/10  The powder is awesome, I just kept it in a mason jar with an old measuring spoon and dumped in how much I needed.  I don't know if I make the full recipe though... We live in a tiny apartment it might be hard to store a whole bucket of detergent.

Allergies:  1/10  Ugh I should have known it was too good to be true.  I broke out in hives on week 2 of using this detergent.  I am leaning towards it being the Fels Naptha, but it is hard to say what caused it. 

Cost: 8/10  Borax $10
                    Washing Soda $5.00
                    Oxy Clean     $9.00
                    2 bars Fels Naptha $8.50
                    1 box baking soda $8.50

Altogether  $41 dollars for what the original poster says is about 288 loads  So about 0.14 cents per load, not bad at all. 


The allergies really make this recipe a no go for us long term, but other people should have a lot of luck with it. 

You can see atempt number 2 here

No comments:

Post a Comment